Black Moustache The Written Chapters: What Is Happiness

Sunday, January 23, 2011

What Is Happiness

Today I went out with my roommates and a friend of us to the town. We planned to buy a few things before we go back to our hometown for the Chinese New Year holidays. A day with a group of people you like is indeed fun and satisfying although I’m actually having a test on Monday’s morning:face4:. While we were on the train to our destination, there’re a few people that caught my attention. It’s quite a habit of mine that whenever I’m on the train or a bus I’ll watch the people around me.I’ve been watching many kind of people while on the train and today is not different from the rest.However,a family of three made me to look at the people around me with a different view.
So I noticed this family which consist of a husband and a wife.Apparently they have a daughter about 4-5 years old (I’m not so good in guessing age,it’s a small kid) and a maid.I don’t know how they ended up on the train,I mean,judging from their appearance and the fact that they can afford a maid,just give us the thought that they should have a car.They were dressing so casually I doubt they’re on a working duty or something like that.It’s Sunday after all.However,the little girl stayed with the maid at one part of the train while the parents at another side of the train.The parents didn’t even look at their child instead,the husband was busy doing something with his cellphone while the wife kept on staring at the view outside the window.
I didn’t know they were related until the little girl ran towards her parents to show the cookies she’s eating.However,she barely came close to them,the wife had waved her hand as a signal for the little girl to go back to the maid.The little girl obeyed her nonetheless,going back to the maid.However,feeling dissatisfied,the little girl came again to her parents while she’s eating her cookies.The parents once again,asked her to leave them and the maid had to take her away from the parents.After finished eating her cookies,the girl went to her parents again,and this time the husband gave a high five to the little girl.The little girl kept on high-fiving her parents for a while before the parents once again told her to go back to her seat.While she was high-fiving with her parents,I noticed how the dull look in her face changed immediately to a bright smile and she kept on laughing and jumping in front of her parents.Her genuine smile and simple laugh made me realized something.
That’s when I started to look at the people around me.The family is the first one coming to my mind.I’m pitying the little girl.She seemed to not be getting enough attention she deserves from her parents.And then a question came to my mind.If the couple had time to go out on weekends why don’t they spend the time with their child?Why would they let the maid to sit with their child instead of them who should be doing it?Although the little girl kept on coming to them a few times,they pushed her away as if she’s disturbing them.Why?What were they so busy with at that time?Busy looking outside the window?Or busy looking at the messages in the cellphone?While they were in the train,they had like about 20 minutes to spend together and what they did?Letting the maid to take care of their child.And out of the 20 minutes,only about less than five minutes they actually communicate with their child by high-fiving.And after that?Nothing else.
Then I saw others around me.A woman with formal outfit,probably working although it’s weekends.There’re a few young couples and bunch of students just like me.Tourists and foreign workers were in the train too.And there was an old man,although he still looked strong,his wrinkles can’t hide the fact that he’s old.And a few middle-aged citizen sitting at a seat supposed to be for the disabled,pregnant woman and old citizen.And no one offered his or her place to the old man.Although the seat belongs to him actually.(I’m also standing,so I can’t do anything about it sad).I’m not about to blame anyone here,I just want to tell you guys what I’ve seen and what I’ve thought. Thanks to the little girl I came to realized about happiness.What is the meaning of happiness?The real meaning of it?It’s not something you can look at the encyclopedia,thesaurus or Wikipedia.And it’s not something you can define by right and wrong.A friend of mine once said as a human,to complete this life and to have the satisfy feeling of living there are 4 stages to be fulfill.Gaining knowledge(studying),having a career(working),finding a soulmate(marriage) and own a family(spouse and childrens).So since I’m still studying,I still have a long way to go to find real happiness and satisfaction in life?Is that what it means?If that’s the case what about those people who already have career and family?Why they are still out there,struggling with their works and neglecting their family?Probably not all is like that but mostly are.I don’t know and nor do I understand about this.So again I’m not blaming anyone.I’m just sharing my thought. But today,seeing the little girl and the fact that I’m away from my family,(My family have never separated from each others,but now I’m at the south region,and my brother too had just gone to the north region,leaving my parents alone at home at the middle region) I came up with my own definition of happiness.It may not be apply to everyone else,but I know it can make me happy,so it’s the real meaning of happiness to me.So,what’s the meaning of happiness to me?

• It’s my mother nag about how girls need to wake up early when I wake up in the afternoon
• It’s asking my mother to make omelet for me for breakfast
• It’s talking back to my mother when she asks me to clean the mess in my room
• It’s changing the channel to my favorite when my mother watched her favorite soap opera
• It’s listening to my favorite rock band and she said she’s going to be deaf soon
• It’s leaving my dirty laundry for my mother to do it for me
• It’s refusing to help her in the kitchen to prepare the meal
• It’s listening to one of her lectures of how a girl need to behave
• It’s asking her money to buy me a new cellphones
• It’s commenting on her outdated music tastes
• It’s watching WWE on the television with my father and brother
• It’s leaving my things at the sitting room and let my father to clear it
• It’s going to the night market with him
• It’s arguing on a football match with him
• It’s listening to him playing guitar while I sing along
• It’s waiting for him to get out of the bathroom (my father takes a very long bath>.<)
• It’s staying up late and making him worry about me
• It’s watching a late night movies with him
• It’s asking him to prepare a drink for me
• It’s playing chess with my younger brother
• It’s sharing our favorite anime together
• It’s watching our favorite series on the television together
• It’s taking the television remote from our parents so that we can watch our favorite channel
• It’s sharing our favorite songs together
• It’s sharing our secrets together
• It’s fighting over so many things we don’t want to share
• It’s threatening to tell our parents about the secrets whenever we’re fighting
• It’s sneering at his spiky hair style
• It’s looking smug when he get scolded by our parents
• It’s bullying him to for my good use
• It’s giving a lesson to someone who bullied him
• It’s having every meals together as a family
• It’s going out together
• It’s watching the channel we all love together
• It’s singing to the song we love together
• It’s loving each others in our own way that nobody else can understand


There are so much more to define the happiness.But I think you guys already have the idea of how I’m defining the happiness.So have I gain the happiness I’m talking about?The answer is yes,it’s there right in front of me.But it’s just me who didn’t realized it until I’m away from my family.Happiness is not our destination,the way people always tell us,but it’s a way of living our life.We can choose to be happy simply by appreciating people around us a little more than they deserved or we can choose to gain happiness by trying to create a perfect living style,with good career,great spouse and stable finance.Wow,this time I’m writing too long.Really too long.Don’t mind me.:Smile:(

1 comment:

  1. Happiness - it is hard to define, isn't it? I don't think you have to work hard to be happy - you just have to appreciate what's around you. :)

    I do feel sorry for that girl ... wow. That is very sad. And I also dislike it when people won't give up their seat for an older person. Whenever I see someone get up for a older person on the bus, it just makes me happy, and makes me think that there *are* good people out there!

    ReplyDelete

Related Post

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Animated Rainbow Moustache Black Moustache Black Moustache